Sunday, April 19, 2009

Philosophy and the Legend of Zelda

Remember way back when I said that I got this book for Christmas? Well, I finally have gotten the chance to read it, and it sure is interesting. Granted, unless you enjoy discussing philosophy, you're not going to get much out of this book, Zelda fan or not, but if you do, then you're in for a real, nerdy treat!

Basically, what it is, is a discussion of philosophy, a series of essays, really, written by academics, using the Zelda series as an example. As I said, if I were to embark on such a task, I probably wouldn't use Zelda, but I'm glad that they did, as I collect stuff from the series. You can take almost every angle of philosophy and somehow apply it to a Zelda game, and it is enjoyable to read. Granted, I don't agree with a certain number of philosophical viewpoints presented in this collection of essays, but that didn't stop me from going ga-ga over it.

There's really not much to say about it, since, unlike other book essays/reviews, this is more of an academic type of book that is completely seeped in nerdyness. Do I recommend getting it? Yes, unless, of course, you hate philosophy with a passion. As for me, I could write a Zelda book about political science, but that'll have to wait.

I do plan on doing a more interesting book review, and that would be Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Yes, it's an actual book, and it might end up being an actual movie. In my opinion, sticking zombies in almost any book would improve it, but this might be a good read. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled.

No comments:

Post a Comment